A recent article in The Australian revealed that Queensland is leading our country’s tourism revival.
Because there are just so many things to love about the Sunshine State. So, ask yourself: What do you love? There’s a good chance you will find it in Queensland!
1) Do you love to snorkel? Queensland is home to some of the most amazing snorkel sites in the country – perhaps even the world!
If you’re staying in Brisbane, catch the ferry to Moreton Island and enjoy the Tangalooma Wrecks. You’ll see turtles, sharks, fish and a variety of other sea creatures in this gorgeous man-made reef.
If you’re staying in Cairns, pay a visit to Green Island and play in the waves. There are many opportunities to snorkel in this clear, blue water, and we’re told fish, stingrays and even whales have all been spotted here!
2) Do you love animals? You will be spoiled for choice in Queensland, which boasts a range of state-of-the-art wildlife parks and sanctuaries.
Australia Zoo should be your first stop – it will take you about an hour to drive here in your Brisbane CBD car rental. It’s a fantastic place to see all of the weird and wonderful creatures this country is famous for, including kangaroos, crocodiles and koalas, as well as animals from around the globe.
If you head there before Christmas, you will get the chance to see two gorgeous tiger cubs!
We also recommend the Wildlife Currumbin Sanctuary, which is located on the Gold Coast. This covers 27 acres of pristine rainforest and gives you the opportunity to witness Australia’s native species in their natural environment.
3) Do you love to dance? The Sunshine State’s capital city, Brisbane, is well known for its exciting nightlife. Whether you want to have a few relaxing drinks with friends or dance the night away, there is sure to be a club, bar or restaurant in this bustling metropolis to suit your tastes.
You should probably begin your evening on Edward Street, in the centre of Brisbane, where you will find the Port Office Hotel.
This complex contains three separate bars: Marble Bar, Fix Wine Bar and Liber Lounge. Enjoy a boutique beer or classy cocktail at Fix Wine Bar in luxurious comfort, then head to Marble Bar for a live DJ on Friday and Saturday nights.
4) Do you love history? There are plenty of museums and places of historical interest in Queensland. You can pay your respects at the ANZAC Square War Memorial in Brisbane, and learn about Australia’s fascinating military heritage.
If you’re in Cairns, put your rental car to good use and check out the Cairns museum. This contains a magnificent array of Aboriginal and Chinese artifacts, and will give you a much clearer picture of what Cairns must have been like in days gone by.
The Cairns Museum is located on the corner of Lake and Shields Streets. It’s currently undergoing some refurbishments, so make sure you call ahead before you drive up in your Cairns Airport car rentals!
5) Do you love a bargain? If you’re in need of a little retail therapy, head to Queensland for a weekend of shopping and saving! Robina, which is located on the Gold Coast (about an hour’s drive from Brisbane), boasts one of the most popular shopping complexes on the planet.
Many people recommend setting a whole day aside to spend at the Robina Town Shopping Centre. It contains a number of huge department stores, as well as sophisticated boutiques and a fantastic food court – so, you never have to leave!