With our car hire now available in Auckland, you can tour NZ's North Island more easily than ever. At the very south of the island you'll find NZ's capital city. Despite being known as 'Windy Wellington', there is plenty to do come rain or shine.
Here's our selection of the city's best bits.
1. Mount Victoria Lookout – With 360-degree views across Wellington, its harbour and the surrounding scenery. You can drive up if you don't feel like the near-200 metre climb. Take a picnic and watch the comings and going of the harbour. If you have the energy, get up early for sunrise. Otherwise, stay for sunset.
May 25, 2018 at 10:27pm PDT
2. Wellington Cable Car and Botanic Garden – Starting at Lambton Quay, the short journey takes the hassle out of a steep climb to the suburb of Kelburn. At the top, you'll find city views, as well as the cable car museum, Carter Observatory and impressive 26-hectare Wellington Botanic Garden. The gardens consist of various displays and specialist gardens. They are free to visit.
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:38am PDT
3. Te Papa Tongarewa – Te Papa's exhibitions cover all things New Zealand. From culture and art, to history and science, with free admission it's hard to think of a reason not to visit. Displays change regularly, with visiting exhibitions sometimes in town. Located on the waterfront, the museum is easily accessible from any part of the city.
Jul 13, 2018 at 5:57pm PDT
4. Weta Studio Tours and Weta Cave – Weta Workshop is a world-famous NZ-owned design and effects studio. Involved in some major films, the main workshop is off limits, but Weta Cave is the next best thing. A movie fan's heaven, the cave is a museum of all things film. You'll find movie props, from models and vehicles to weapons and armour, collectibles and costumes. Naturally, Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit both feature.
Mar 18, 2018 at 12:48pm PDT
5. Zealandia – A world first, this fenced ecosanctuary aims to replicate New Zealand prior to the arrival of humans and introduced predators. You can opt for a self-guided visit or take the tour. There's even a torchlight option for the really adventurous.
Jul 17, 2018 at 3:47pm PDT
If our list of attractions above isn't enough, the refreshment options should be. Wellington has been named as one of the top 8 coffee destinations worldwide by CNN, Lonely Planet think it's a "world-beating destination" for beer lovers, and Cuba Street is well worth stopping for lunch or dinner, with its mix of bars, cafes, quirky shops and the weekly night market.
Visit our website to organise your Auckland car hire.